(Scroll down to register for the Parent, Teacher and School Administrator Forums)
Radnor Township School District, in partnership with the Radnor League of Women Voters, invites all interested parents to "Sleep and the Adolescent Brain," a forum featuring a panel of experts who will discuss a more and more common public health issue in the United States today - student sleep loss.
The event will take place Sunday, February 21 from 2-4 p.m. in the Radnor Middle School Auditorium (150 Louella Ave., Wayne) and is co-sponsored by the RTSD Parent-Teacher Organizations/Parent-Teacher-Student Organization, the Lower Merion School District, the Tredyffrin-Easttown School District PTOs, and area Leagues of Women Voters.
For more background on the topic of student sleep, click here.
Panelists for the event are:
- Dr. Judith Owens: Director of Sleep Medicine at Boston Children's Hospital in Boston, MA and a nationally renowned pediatric sleep expert whose particular research interests are in the neurobehavioral and health consequences of sleep problems in children and adolescents, sleep health education, and cultural and psychosocial issues impacting sleep;
- Dr. Katherine Dahlsgaard: Lead Psychologist at the Anxiety Behaviors Clinic at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia; and
- Dr. James Scanlon: Superintendent of West Chester Area School District, who has been vocal on the issue of student sleep
Questions to be addressed include:
- Why do many adolescents have trouble getting up in the morning?
- How much sleep do adolescents (ages 10-18) need and how much are they typically getting?
- What are the academic, social, emotional and behavioral implications of sleep deprivation?
- As parents, schools and communities, how can we use our knowledge of adolescents' unique sleep patterns to help them be healthier?
Time for Q&A will also be provided.
Seminars for Area Teachers and School Administrators, February 22
Area teachers and school administrators are also invited to their own dedicated "Sleep and the Adolescent Brain" seminars on Monday, February 22. The teacher and school administrator forums will feature Dr. Owens.
The teacher seminar will take place from 3:30-5:30 p.m. in the Radnor High School Cafeteria (130 King of Prussia Rd., Radnor).
The school administrator seminar will take place from 8-10 a.m. in Radnor Middle School's Large Group Instruction Room (150 Louella Ave., Wayne).