SAMS Assistance for Staff

  • Information for Professional and Paraprofessional Staff

    SAMS offers around-the-clock telephone and Internet access for all district professional and paraprofessional staff to report absences, regardless of whether a substitute is required. Each employee has an assigned ID and PIN. If you do not have this information, contact your building secretary.
    To access SAMS: Visit or call SAMS toll free at 1-800-942-3767 and follow the voice menu.

    • Report your absence date/s as far in advance as possible, but not less than one hour before the absence. The more lead time you provide, the better the chance of a substitute accepting the assignment. If you are unable to meet the deadline on the day of your absence, you must phone the principal to inform him/her of  your absence. In this instance, the building secretary will override SAMS and record your absence. REMEMBER: SAMS defaults absence entries to the next school day so you will need to be careful when entering a same day absence.
    • Specify whether a substitute is required.
    • If you are assigned to multiple buildings, you will also need to specify the location/s where you will be absent. Itinerant employees who will be absent from multiple locations on the same day should hold the shift key while selecting the buildings. As you continue through the online absence reporting process you will be able to customize the reporting times for each location.
    • If you will be absent for a full day but only need a substitute for half of the day, you may either enter two half-day absences, a half-day with a substitute required and a half-day with no substitute needed or ask the building secretary to enter the absence on your behalf, specifying a differing reporting time for the substitute.  
    • If you have developed a list of favorite substitutes, they will be the first contacted to fill the absence, unless there is a short lead time. If you have not established a list of favorite substitutes, or your absence has been entered with a short lead time, SAMS will post your absence for all available, qualified substitutes to see, as well as randomly contact all qualified and available district-approved substitutes to obtain coverage.
    • When reporting your absence via the Internet, you will have the ability to leave messages for the substitute and/or building administrator, as well as upload files such as class lists and lesson plans.
    • If you have prearranged with a substitute to cover your classes, you must work through the building secretary to have the absence entered and the substitute assigned. You cannot assign your own substitute. Itinerant employees who have made a prearrangement with a substitute should contact the Human Resources Office for assistance.
    • If the actual date you are to be absent differs from the date you originally reported, update the information using SAMS. If you are returning to work earlier than you originally stated, be certain to update SAMS. As soon as you make these changes, SAMS will make every attempt to contact the assigned substitute and notify them of the change. Changes/cancelations should be reported as soon as they are known but must be reported in excess of one hour in advance.
    • If you need to correct an absence that has past or enter an absence that had already occurred please contact you building secretary to add and/or change.