Wayne, Pennsylvania – Our Home
Radnor Middle School is located in the heart of Radnor, Pennsylvania, a small township approximately eight (8) miles west of Philadelphia. Originally founded by Quakers from Radnorshire, Wales, in 1682 with 5,000 acres purchased from William Penn, Radnor Township remains a community rich in history and culture.
The village of Wayne, formerly named Louella, is named after General Anthony Wayne, a locally born statesman and military leader who played a key role in the American Revolution and became one of General George Washington’s most trusted officers. The village center, dotted with small shops and tree‐lined streets, sits along Philadelphia’s famous suburban Main Line and serves as the township’s cultural gathering place. Radnor’s convenient proximity to historic Philadelphia provides easy access to one of the richest education, art, and entertainment centers in the nation.
Today, Radnor enjoys the reputation of being one of the most desirable places to live in the country. Its high-performing public school system has earned various local, state, and national designations.
A Brief History of Radnor Middle School
Radnor Middle School first opened its doors in 1923 in the center of Wayne, Pennsylvania, and served as a junior-senior high school. In 1958, the “new” Radnor High School opened and the seventh to ninth (7th - 9th) graders remained in the original building in Wayne. In 1973, the ninth (9th) graders moved to the high school campus and at some point thereafter sixth (6th) graders joined the junior level school. In 1990, fifth (5th) graders were moved into the school for a short period of time, and later rejoined the Middle School in the early 2000’s for a period as well.
In 2007, the original building was razed as a new environmentally-friendly building was constructed. Built to serve as a middle school where students would learn in a team structure, the 195,000 square foot building consists of four (4) floors and has garnered many accolades for its construction as well as the educational programming it provides the students. The “green-roof” and geothermal heating and cooling systems, as well as strategic natural light and ventilation systems, has earned the Middle School the LEED Silver Certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) from the U.S. Green Building Council in 2009, and the first National Green Ribbon School Award in 2012. Since the creation of “No Child Left Behind,” Radnor has met the AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress) criteria from the Pennsylvania Department of Education. The school was given the distinction of a Keystone Schools Certificate of Commendation from the Schools to Watch State Team in 2013 and received the Schools to Watch Designation, January 2016, as well as the distinguished National Blue Ribbon designation.
Information taken from http://www.angelfire.com/pa4/rms/rms_history.htm (accessed 7/6/2013) and BHA brochure (published 2007).
Radnor Middle School is organized as a sixth (6th), seventh (7th), and eighth (8th) grade school utilizing a team format. The middle school model offers the best means for providing academic, social, and emotional growth of adolescents and meeting their special developmental needs. This organizational model encourages and facilitates interdisciplinary education, as well as close family involvement and contact with the instructional staff.
Each grade consists of 250-330 students and four (4) to five (5) house teams at each grade level. Students’ grade-level classes are traditionally on the same floor of the building, and house team classrooms are generally in close proximity to one another, reducing the amount of travel time during transitions. Most students receive their math instruction from a team teacher, but it is not uncommon for a student to move to an “off team” teacher for their math period. Special integrated teams have been developed and consist of 40 students per team. These students receive their language arts, science, and social studies instruction as a group throughout the day from the same two (2) co-teachers.