A Message from the Principal
August 26, 2018
Dear Parents and Guardians,
On behalf of the staff at Radnor Middle School, I am happy to welcome you to the 2018-2019 school year!
We are glad to welcome to our RMS Family:
- Jamie Walkowiak (School Counselor); Lauren Raines Eighth Grade Science
- Joyce DeShan (Spanish)
- Hollice “Holly” King (French)
- Catherine Garger (LTS Spec Ed, Colgan Love 1st Sem.)
- MaryAnn Kane (Food Service Team Member)
- Maureen Pearlingi (Food Service Team Member)
- Benjamin Younkins (Food Service Team Member for Mickey Fitzgerald)
- Judy Militello (Cafeteria Coordinator for Karen Corbo)
- Shannon Lynch (Paraprofessional)
- Bethany Moore (Paraprofessional)
- Shawn Shillingford (Paraprofessional)
- Andre Johnson (Custodial)
- Patricia Klusman (Secretary to the Principal)
We are glad to Welcome Back:
- Emily Morikawa
- Renee Romano
- Shauna Scharf
- Cathie Mault
We are saying Best Wishes to:
- Annmarie Lord (former Science)
- Carolyn Popovic (former RMS French/German)
- Nicole Tuohey (former RMS Literacy Coach); Abby Daniels, Humanities Coach
- Christie Newlin (Ithan Elementary 18-19)
- Jessica D’Ignazio (Benefits Coordinator for Barbara Fretchel)
- Corinna Segal (former French)
- Steffi Pugh (former Gifted)
- Mickey Fitzgerald (former Food Service Team Member)
We are glad that your children attend Radnor Middle School. We openly acknowledge that this strong partnership with you is making an amazing difference in your child’s education. As partners, we share the responsibility for your child’s success and we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities. We invite you to continue being an active participant in our school community through volunteering, joining our PTO, and/or attending and supporting school events.
Welcome to our New/Returning PTO Officers:
- President – Jennifer Richmond
- Vice President/Committees – Louise Games
- Co-Vice President/Communications – Ylva Kelsall
- Co-Vice President/Communications – Jennifer Daniels
- Vice President/Fundraising – Lyle Stamps
- Treasurer – Daniel Richwine
- Secretary – Missy Halberstadt
- MLK Day Chair – Teresa Groshans
- International Week Chair – Esther Choi
- Website/Site Administrator – Patti Grossi Balachandran
- Cultural Arts- Lisa Green/Andrea Albert
Communication is one of the important principles to a healthy school environment. Together, we will help to maintain the excellence that our Radnor Middle School community is known for throughout the region. The support that you provide to our school community is immensely appreciated! Radnor Middle School is once again ranked as the #2 Middle School in the state of Pennsylvania by Niche.com. Thank you once again for helping to make this happen.
I’d like to take the opportunity to share some key highlights:
Parents, students and staff were surveyed this past winter regarding the Middle School Program Study. Your responses have led to some building-wide improvements and changes. Thank you for responding to the survey.
Students in 6th and 8th participated in the PAYS (Pennsylvania Youth Survey) last fall, guided by our PE and Health Departments. The survey asked questions from four key domains that impact our adolescent youth, and the results are intended to help guide the school and community in assisting and providing any necessary supports to our children.
Health Heroes (Flu Shots) Clinic will be returning in the fall. More information will follow upon receipt of the Health Hero packets.
The 2018-2019 Student Handbook is posted online. Please remember to sign and return the Student Handbook, Walk to Wayne, and Media Release forms to your child’s Advisory teacher. Friday afternoon Walk to Wayne is not a school sanctioned activity. Please monitor your child’s participation.
After School club, sports and intramural information will be posted more prominently on the website as well as contained in the Student Bulletin section of our website. The Student Bulletin information is displayed every day, yearlong, on the flat screen televisions for your children during their lunch periods in the cafeteria.
Our New Student/Family Orientation Luncheon was held August 22 from 11-12:30 p.m. It was a pleasure meeting all our new families and students.
WE ASKED AND YOU DELIVERED - Together our RMS Community of students, staff and parents were able to donate over $88,000 dollars to those in need during the last school year. Locally and globally you helped us make a difference in the lives of children. Thank you!
The Assessment Calendar is posted with other key elements of our middle school.
The Radnor Middle School staff and I feel fortunate to be a part of this school family. We thank you for your support and look forward to seeing so many of you at Open School on Tuesday, August 28 from 1-6 p.m. Open School gives the students an opportunity to walk through their new schedules, obtain gym shirts ($5.00) and sixth graders will receive their new middle school locks. The locks are ten dollars for returning 7th/8th grade students.
Please note that Back to School Night (Open House) will occur on Thursday, September 27 at 6 p.m.
On Opening Day, September 4, 6th graders are scheduled to arrive at the regularly scheduled start time of 8 a.m. All 7th and 8th graders are to report at 10 a.m. Bus transportation will be provided for all students who normally ride the bus. Pickup times for 7th and 8th graders will be two hours after normal pickup times. We look forward to welcoming the students to a new and productive year.
HAC has been open since 8 p.m. on August 20, 2018. Each student will receive a physical copy of their schedule the first day of school.
ANTICIPATING GREAT THINGS,
Esther M. Purnell